Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Vegetable Favorites

I forgot how yummy this simple recipe is until I pulled it out this week. It's a great way to use garden vegetables:

Tomato Cucumber Salad

3-5 diced tomatoes
2-3 sliced cucumbers
1 red or green pepper (optional)
1-2 green onions
2 T oil (I usually add some water to make 2 T)
1 T vinegar (rice vinegar is the best - it's mild)
1 small clove garlic
1 t salt (this is half what the original recipe called for and could still be decreased)

Chop every thing and mix well. Do not refrigerate if you serve it soon enough. Fresh cilantro is good on top.

Another favorite of ours is Spaghetti squash. If you haven't heard of it, it's a squash that comes out in strings similar to spaghetti noodles. We use it in place of pasta. It has a little crunch to it and doesn't leave that heavy feeling that pasta does after eating it.

Just cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and place cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 45 - 60 nimutes.

1 comment: